Sunday, February 24, 2008

Two weeks

Friday night, Jack was two weeks old, and we accidentally celebrated with slushies. Christopher was holding him, and I asked if there was anything I could get for him. He's been so sweet to me lately -- watching the baby while I slept -- and I wanted to return the favor. He jokingly said he wanted a watermelon slushie, and I volunteered to run down the street to Sonic to get it. I got back around 11:30 with his watermelon slush, and a lemon slush for me, and realized that the night Jack was born, right around the same time, my stepfather brought us the same drinks at the hospital. It really drove home the fact that we've been through two whole weeks so far, and we're surviving. Maybe even thriving.

I love to watch him with the baby. He struggled a lot with the idea of having a child throughout the pregnancy, which is apparently pretty natural, and he was pretty thunderstruck at birth. He was so concerned about the pain I was in with the problems with the anesthesia that I think he couldn't really wrap his mind around the arrival of baby. But over these last two weeks, I've watched him morph into an amazing father, and it's been beautiful to watch. Sometimes I have to pry Jack away from him, and he's so sweet and gentle with that little body. I'm a lucky, lucky girl.

Even if I don't really have a schedule at all any longer. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: