Sunday, March 30, 2008

On the bum

So we're switched over to pretty much only cloth diapers now, with a very few exceptions, like if we're going to be out for a while in the car. Otherwise, though, we're washing 'em up, and it's a lot easier than I expected. We really could have switched over sooner, but I did NOT want to deal with cloth right out of the gate, while I was still freaking out over simply having a baby. I know that's when a lot of new parents lose their cloth resolve, so I just skipped it and waited until things were less insane.

Funnily enough, though I've bought several Bum Genius diapers, as well as a few other pricier types (one Cricket's diaper, a couple of Fuzzi Buns, which I LOVE), we really use the prefolds and covers more than anything. The Bummis Super Whisper Wraps NEVER seem to leak -- even if the prefold is soaked to the point of ohmygodding -- and even Christopher doesn't think it's difficult, and he was not particularly gung ho on cloth. In fact, he's the one who uses those the most!

The best thing I bought, however, was the PUL diaper pail liners. I have a decent pail, plus those, and I wash every couple of days (including bag). No smell, but if I notice anything, there's a little spot for a few drops of essential oil inside the bag. Awesome.

Though I will say that pee diapers are way, way smellier than poopy diapers once they've been in the pail for a day or so. Maybe it's because we clean the poopers off a little in the toilet, but I think it's more the ferocious ammonia smell... and tiny Jack is a freakin' pee machine.

No comments: